TO: General Information Release
RE: Fire Restrictions Stage 1
May 09, 2022
Due to the High Winds and RED FLAG conditions in Rio Grande County and the San Luis Valley, the County of Rio Grande is placed on FIRE Stage 1. The restrictions are as follows:
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove, except within a developed recreation site, or improved site; 36 CFR § 261.52(a).
The use of petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns or heating devices providing such devices meet the fire underwriter’s specifications for safety is allowed.
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material; 36 CFR § 261.52(d).
Exemptions - Pursuant to 36 CFR § 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this order:
1. Persons with a Forest Service permit specifically authorizing the prohibited act or omission.
2. Any Federal, State or Local Officer or member of an organized firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
3. Resident owners and lessees of land, and holders of Forest Service recreation special use authorizations, within the restricted area exempt from Restriction No. 1 above, provided such fires are within a permanent structure.
4. Residents in the area.
5. Persons occupied in a business, trade or occupation in the area.
Donald G. McDonald