The Monte Vista Police Department has 14 full-time police officers, including the Chief of Police, one code enforcement position and two professional staff member positions. These officers patrol the City of Monte Vista 24-hours a day, 365 days a year.
The City of Monte Vista is located in the heart of the San Luis Valley in Southwestern Colorado. Monte Vista's population is 4,700 and is comprised of 1.9 square miles.
The Monte Vista Police Department will provide professional and ethical service in protection of our citizens while preventing crime and reducing the fear of crime through problem solving partnerships.
Through our steadfast commitment to policing excellence, the Monte Vista Police Department will be a professional, dynamic and innovative organization known for recruiting, hiring, training and developing an exceptional workforce that reflects the values and diversity of the community we serve.
- Integrity - adhering to strict, unequivocal standards of conduct in keeping with our ethical obligations.
- Courage - displaying the strength of character to confront fear, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.
- Accountability - accepting individual and collective responsibility for our oath, duty, and actions.
- Innovation - adapting to changes in society through strategic integration of technology and equipment.
- Respect - valuing human life and dignity with an equal commitment to justice and acceptance of diversity.
Please click here to download all Municipal Codes pertaining to the Monte Vista Police Department.
Are you willing to help make a difference in the quality of life in the Monte Vista community? The Monte Vista Police Department is seeking qualified volunteers to fulfill a variety of duties, from working with youth to data entry and evidence processing.
Volunteers must be over 21 years of age, community minded and willing to undergo a thorough background check, including a polygraph examination and drug test. All are invited to apply and retired persons are especially encouraged. Print and fill out an application (PDF) or pick one up at City Hall.
VIN Verifications - PLEASE FOLLOW INSTUCTIONS
VIN Verification Procedures
The Monte Vista Police Department provides VIN Verification services at a cost of $10 per VIN inspection. If you live within the City of Monte Vista, you can bring the vehicle to the Police Department located at 95 West 1st Avenue or we will come to your residence. If you live outside of city limits you will have to bring the vehicle to the Police Department.
What you will need:
1. Valid Identification
2. Proof of ownership of the vehicle (Title or Bill of Sale)
3. Receipt from City Hall you paid the $10 fee.
What you need to do:
1. Go to City Hall, 95 West Avenue and pay your $10. City Hall will give you a receipt.
2. Once you have a receipt from City Hall, call Dispatch at 719-589-5807 and request an officer for a VIN Verification. Let dispatch know you have already paid the $10 fee.
Dispatch will have an officer contact you for the VIN inspection. Do not call dispatch until you have the receipt from City Hall.
The MVPD does not do Certified VIN Inspections. A certified VIN is need if there is a correction need to a title, missing VIN Plate or for salvage vehicles. Call the Colorado State Patrol at 719-589-2503 to schedule a Certified VIN.
Colorado Applicant Background Services via IdentoGO